We all know that each person has different potentials in different areas. But knowing that we have a potential is not enough to shape our career.
What brings us to something is how we use these potentials. It is much easier to climb the ladder of success as long as we use our potential and capabilities in full capacity and right. In addition, it is a very important factor in achieving success in order to know the characteristics that our potential is low and that we feel that we need to develop in ourselves and to take a step in order to develop them.
How do we make this awareness of ourselves? The SWOT analysis developed by Harvard University professors in the 1960s is exactly what we are looking for. Thanks to this analysis, we can use our strengths more effectively while we notice the shortcomings of ourselves more easily.
SWOT, which is an English abbreviation, is as follows:
S: Strenghts (Strengths)
When doing the analysis, you should ask yourself questions for each section. The most important point here is to be objective when answering these questions. As long as you are not objective, the results will not be very accurate and effective for you. I wonder what questions you should ask during analysis. Let’s give some examples:
• What makes me different from other people?
• What do I feel proud of myself about?
• What is more successful than my competitors?
• What people spend time with me ask about the most common subjects?
• What are the issues that I feel lack in my education life?
• What do I think I can’t do well or avoid doing?
• What are my characteristics that affect my life negatively? (sleep problem, inability to cope with stress, etc.)
• What are the features that I can put in a difficult position in terms of my career? (shyness, inability to speak in public, etc.)
It is very important to be objective, especially when answering questions about our weaknesses. It may not always be easy to face our shortcomings. But as long as we are not aware of our weaknesses, we cannot go over these weaknesses. ?
• Do I have contacts with people who will guide me and help me?
• Can I turn the shortcomings of my competitors into my advantage?
• Is there anything in my career that I plan to fill in?
• Does the sector that I want to work improve?
• What kind of obstacles can I encounter in my career?
• Can I pose a threat to my changing technology career?
• Are there more people competing with me for the same goal?
• Who are my most serious competitors?
• Will my weaknesses pose a threat to me during this analysis?
Thanks to SWOT analysis, we can focus on our strengths, develop our weaknesses, benefit from the advantages that opportunities offer us the most and take measures against the usual threats. You can use SWOT analysis not only for your career goals, but also for everyday people.